- 200g potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
- 30 ml milk
- 50g wholemeal self-raising flour
- 3 eggs, separated
- 2 tbsp natural yogurt, plus extra for topping
- A handful of finely sliced spring onion, plus extra for topping
- 5 slices of smoked salmon, cut into thin strips, for topping
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- Lemon wedges, to serve
Boil the potatoes in a pot of salted boiling water for around 15 minutes or until tender. Drain and add to a mixing bowl with the milk and mash well. Allow to cool slightly.
Beat in the flour, egg yolks, yogurt and spring onions, then season with salt and pepper. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff. Carefully fold the egg whites into the potato mixture.
Heat a small amount of oil in a large frying pan over a medium-high heat and add 4-5 separate tablespoons of the potato mixture. Fry for a couple of minutes until set, then flip over and cook for another minute or two until slightly browed on both sides. Transfer to a cooling rack and continue process until all the mixture has been used.
To serve, top blinis with smoked salmon, a dollop of yogurt, extra spring onion and a crack of black pepper. Serve with lemon wedges if desired.
Makes around 20 blinis.